Thursday, August 21, 2014

Correcting Design Mistakes

Yes, yes, I admit it, Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa, we screwed up in a couple of places in designing Floating Empire.  You never know, though, until you try.

We spent part of yesterday correcting one of the irritating design errors that had the potential to do some damage.  You may recall during construction that the crown of the roofline is carried by two beams spanning the kingposts:

The problem was, this left about a 24" flat space on the center of the roofline.  During rains, the membrane collected water here. . . .GALLONS of it, and we were afraid it was stretching our roofing.  We had used a bit of the left over luan in strips to reenforce it, but it wasn't enough to take the weight.

The solution was pretty simple. Today we inserted a line of 2" X 2" fir on top of the arcs all the way down the spine of the roof, forming a ridgecrest.  (the ridge board is mostly on top of the luan stripping, which we used to help guide it, so it's not terribly visible.

It should, from all appearances, work just fine.  They're predicting thunderstorms this afternoon, so we'll give you a full report.


Check out our other blogs at Onboard Cooking and Life, Art, Water

and we love to hear from you.  We answer all questions and would love to hear your ideas.

Just use the comments section at the bottom.  We'll get back to you, we promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment