Translate

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Building a Composting Head, Pt 1

Since our new test hull had already had the head and the blackwater system (vile things, don't use em) removed, we felt it was incumbent on us to build in a new composting head drawing on our experiences of the last four years.

First, of course, we had to build a platform on which it could sit.  The Cal hull we're using is. . .well. . .curvy, including the floors.  So we inserted a pice of 3/4 birch ply to serve as a base and stained and polyurethaned it.
New platform for the composting toilet.
We then put in two sides to make the box that will hold the head.

Sigh...nothing ever looks square on a boat

Here's where the bucket will sit.
Then we added the lid, including an opening for the bucket top and snap on toilet seat and a deck access hatch beneath which will be our bin of sawdust or stove pellets.

We put stops underneath to keep the lid from sliding.
The little access hatches (intended mostly for kayaks) work perfectly here.  If you need one, duckworksmagazine.com has some great prices in their store, and is a wonderful source for boatbuilding ideas and materials.  Recommend them highly.
So then Gail got to stain the thing.
So here's the basic box, awaiting additional stain and varnish and stuff.
More shortly.  We'll finish this thing tomorrow and I'll gie you a full report.

M

No comments:

Post a Comment